Debit Card Security
We take your security seriously and have several features in place to help protect your account from fraudulent debit card activity.
- EMV Chip Card Technology - Get stronger security for your credit and debit card with chip technology that protects your information when used at a chip-enabled terminal.
- $0 Liability Guarantee - Should your card be lost or stolen, Citizens Bank will credit fraudulent charges made with your card back to your account as soon as the next business day.1
- Fraud Monitoring - Reviews how and where your card is being used and looks for abnormal patterns that might indicate fraud. If potentially fraudulent use of your debit card is detected, you will be contacted by our automated Fraud Prevention Notification System. To ensure we can reach you if potential fraud is detected, please keep us informed of your correct phone numbers and email addresses at all times.
- NEW FEATURE: Text Alerts - Sign up to receive text alerts when your debit card is used for certain types of transactions. If you receive an alert for a purchase you made, you can simply ignore the message. However, if you receive notification for a transaction you did not authorize, you can reply using the code in the message to indicate that the transaction is fraudulent.2 You can opt to receive notification when:
- Your card is used out of state
- Your card is used to make a large purchase
- Your card is used to make a purchase with the card not present (as is the case with online purchases)
- A transaction made with your debit card is declined
- Daily Spending Limits – You can choose a daily spending limit up to $1,500 or the balance in your account, whichever is less. Choosing a limit that is appropriate for your individual spending habits, minimizes the amount fraudsters can access. If you are planning to make a one-time larger purchase, you can always call us during business hours and request a temporary increase.
- Geographic Restrictions - A large portion of fraudulent debit card activity takes place in foreign countries so we’ve blocked international debit card use unless you let us know that you will be traveling abroad. We also place temporary restrictions on signature-based debit card transactions in certain states or industries when we become aware of high fraud activity in those areas. PIN based transactions will still work in these cases. See any current restrictions below.
Call us when you plan to travel and we’ll make sure you’re able to use your card wherever you’re going.
1 The $0 Liability Guarantee covers fraudulent transactions made by others using your Citizens Bank debit card. To be covered, report transactions made by others promptly, and don't share personal or account information with anyone.
2 Message and data rates may apply. You may discontinue the receipt of alerts immediately by texting the word STOP in reply to an alert. You may unsubscribe from this service entirely on the website.
Debit Card Safety Tips
- As soon as you get your new card, call to activate it, and sign the back of the card.
- Review your monthly statement or your account activity online to confirm all transactions are yours. Report any errors or unknown charges immediately by calling us at 262-363-6500.
- After you have handed your card to a merchant for a purchase, make sure that the card is actually yours when it is given back (and not the card of someone else). Keep your charge slip and destroy any carbons.
- Never give out your account number or PIN to anyone who contacts you.
- If you lose your card, report it immediately by calling us at 262-363-6500. If calling after business hours, call 1-866-546-8273.
There's been an increase in debit card fraud originating both domestically and internationally. At this time, we have temporarily stopped the ability for debit cards to be used by swiping, the Internet, or telephone origination in:
- no current domestic restrictions
Debit cards can still be used but will need to have a Personal Identification Number (PIN) for authentication.
- All debit cards (both consumer & business) are restricted for international usage.
If you plan on traveling to any of the above areas, please contact us at 262-363-6500.